Friday, March 2, 2012

Hoka Time

Stinson B

About a year ago, I ran a Pacific Coast Trail Run and saw my first Hoka OneOnes. I thought they looked like moon boots and thought they were very odd. I had not run an ultra yet but I had already experienced foot pain in marathons and was looking for relief. Later in the year, I ran my first 50 miler (Leona Divide) and later on ran the Bishop 50 Miler. In both races my feet took a beating but I survived.

After climbing Whitney twice in ten days, I decided to try a hundred miler and choose the 100 Mile Endurance Challenge. It was an urban ultra from Corona to Santa Monica so I would not have to deal with altitude or monster climbs and descents. But I was facing a lot of pavement and sidewalk and I was not looking forward to the foot pain.

When I got to the starting line of my first hundred, it seemed like half the field was wearing Hoka One Ones and I wished I was even though I had never worn a pair. Well I made it 60 miles or so before my feet started killing me and I finished in 28:22 despite my foot pain.

Mile 88
Now with two hundreds coming up this summer (San Diego & Angeles Crest), I decided to buy a pair. Besides saving my feet, I have heard they help with descending and that is where I lose a lot of time in races. In fact, I missed the 28 mile cut off at the Ray Miller 50 Miler (I ended up doing  Miler) a because I was so slow on the steep descents.

Since I am not near any store who carries them, I decided to buy them from Zombie Runner who got them to me in two days (Free shipping btw!). Plus I saved 10% by using the Badwater code.

My first impression when I put them on was they ran true to size. I have been wearing tens forever (all brands) and they fit like most of the shoes I have owned. Now standing in them was odd because they have a lot of cushion. My sons thought I looked funny in them and I felt taller too.

Since I had some time, I went for a 40 minute walk / run in them. Walking felt very weird and slow too but running felt great. They seemed to really help me keep the Chi Running form that has helped me stay injury free over the years. Since I only ran on the bike path, I did not get to try them on some hills but this first test run was aces. Of course tomorrow's 20 miler will be a better test.

1 comment:

  1. Well I have done a 20 mile road run and several trail runs in them and I like these shoes. I have less foot pain and I am running more and walking less when i wear my Hokas.

    At first I didnt like walking in them but I have now gotten use to them. Can't wait to do a race in them.

    ReplyDelete