Sunday, August 5, 2012

Exclusive Kara Goucher Interview

Does your coach act as a check against your temptation to ignore your body’s warning signals?
Absolutely. To reach a certain level it takes a certain amount of hard-headedness. I’ve seen that with my husband as well. Sometimes he will look at me and say, “You should probably take the afternoon off.” And I’ll say, “Are you crazy? I have to get these five miles it!” But at the same time I can look at him and do the same thing. Both of us need that person who can look at us objectively.
Alberto wants me to train as hard as I can possibly train. But he knows there is that threshold [of overtraining]. But I just want to be good so bad, and I don’t ever want to feel that I am slacking, so I will keep hitting my head against the wall. So for me it’s essential that I have these people in Alberto and Adam that I trust to tell me, “No, you’re being crazy. You need to back off today.”


Exclusive Kara Goucher Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment