Friday, October 23, 2009

Fast Times at Golden Valley?


Wednesday night my phone was lighting up with texts about the great times run at Golden Valley. What is known is Daymon Sandles (GV) and Sarah Baker (BHS) easily won their races and ran fast. But the length of the course is a question mark.

I covered the Highland and East meet at Golden Valley but never found any times for that meet. I do know the course is flat and is three loops of unknown length. Each lap did cover almost the entire length of the track and then the course went out and around a large field. But before it came back to the track it did a funky short cul-de-sac like loop before turning back on to the track.

Because of all the sharp turns and grass on the course, I do not think it is that fast of a course. Plus the three loop format is not a favorite of athletes. I also spoke to other coaches whose teams have competed on the course and they think it is short as well.

Having said all that, I would love for the course to be legit. Both Sarah and Daymon are hard working and talented athletes who I know can post the kind of times run today. Daymon ran 15:48 and Sarah ran 17:46 on the Golden Valley course and I know that they can post these kind of times at Hart Park and hope they do so in a few weeks.

In the team competition, the Lady Drillers completed their second season of dual meets undefeated. The Driller boys won the battle to get out of the cellar and are now 1 - 5 while Golden Valley is 0 - 6.


Boys Bakersfield 26, Golden Valley 31 At Golden Valley, 3-mile course

1. Sandles, GV, 15:48.
JV -- BHS 21, GV 36

Girls Bakersfield 24, Golden Valley 33 At Golden Valley, 3-mile course

1. Baker, Bakersfield 17:45
JV -- GV won by forfeit

2 comments:

  1. Right after I posted this, I was informed that Bakersfield High wheeled the course and found it to be 30 feet short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earlier I was told it was 30 feet but now I have been informed it was thirty yards.

    ReplyDelete