Saturday March 6th at Bakersfield College
Previous Noise Coverage HERE.
Athletic.net Results HERE.
2010 Complete Results HERE. (When & if I find them.)
Stockdale's Alex Collatz busts huge mark & U.S. #1 of 172-6 in girls discus at East Bakersfield Relays!
Girls - Besides winning the discus, Collatz also won the high jump with a jump of 5'. Fresno State bound Taylor Jackson from Frontier won the 100h. State D1 cross country qualifier Sarah Baker (Jr) of Bakersfield High broke the meet record in the 3200 with a time of 11:34.8 which is a personal best for her. The Centennial girls broke the meet record in the 4 x800 as well. Centennial also won the Sweepstakes trophy. Stockdale's Carolin Haney won the 1600 in a time of 5:32.
4x800 Centennial, 10:30.91; LJ--West, Ind, 16-3; 100h--Jackson, Fr, 15.45; PV--Giuliano, St, 9-00; HJ--Collatz, St, 5-00; 1600--Haney, St, 5:32.1; SP Haddad, South, 22-10; 300h--Ellis, Fr, 47.22; 400 relay--Golden Valley, 51.19; TJ--Tanner, St, 34-3; 800 relay--Golden Valley, 1:50.32; 3200--Baker, BHS, 11:34.8; Dis--Collatz, St, 172-6; 1600--Frontier, 4:15.38
Boys - State D2 Alex Garcia of won the 1600/3200 double with 4:43.1/10:16.6 efforts.qualifier Highland won the 4 x 800. Cal Poly SLO bound Phillip McCullum of Garces won the high jump with a 6'4" leap. Senior
4x800--Highland, 8:17.34; HJ--McCullum, G, 6-4; SP--Temple, Lib, 47-51/2; LJ--Mearse, Fr, 21-41/2; Dis--Cravens, Lib, 139-11/2; PV--Ramey, Lib, 12-9; TJ--Mearse, Fr, 44-61/2; 110h--King, Cen, 15.68; 1600--Garcia, Ridge, 4:43.1; 300h--Farris, St, 40.22; 400 relay--BHS, 43.57; 800 relay--BHS, 1:31.12; 3200--Garcia, Ridge, 10:16.6; 1600 relay--Ridgeview, 3:27.89
- This meet is always the kickoff meet to a new track & field season in Bakersfield. Long ago this meet was one of the meets of the year but now it is a shadow of its former self. I ran it back in the early 80s and remember all kinds of relays and medleys that are no longer contested.
- Back in the day, this was truly a relay meet. In fact, even the field events were a 3 man competition. They averaged the best three marks to determine which school won. But it, the medleys and hurdle relays are no more
- The distance races (1600 and 3200) were team events too. The 1600 record was a 4:17 average by three athletes from Arroyo Grande in 1994. The 3200 record was a 9:38 average by three athletes from Shafter in 1977.
- The relays that are contested now are the 4 x 100, 4 x 200, 4 x 400 and 4 x 800. The individual running events are the 1600, 3200 and the hurdles. All the field events are contested as well. There are three divisions: varsity boys, varsity girls and frosh/soph boys.
- At this event, there are limited spots available to compete especially in the running events. There is not any 100, 200, 400 or 800. In the past, they have not limited the number of field athletes, so one should consider trying one of the field events if you want to compete at this meet.